Friday 25 May 2012

Special People and Special Moments

I am back!  So sorry to those who have been following faithfully.  We were in a place where we did not have internet access so I couldn't update.  And now I have so much to tell you.
When I last wrote I had just woken up from a very difficult night.  That was 3 days ago.   That freezing cold shower was the last one I had until now.  I have been living the simple life with Pam, Joe and Pancho.  No showers, no makeup, not even a comb through my hair.
We left Santa Catarina and that lovely hotel, Jardin de Celeste.  We said our goodbyes to the children at the school, the teachers, the families and Don Fernando.
I have had time to reflect on our experiences in the community and our project.   I was surprised by my own reaction to everything we faced.   I thought I was more than prepared to see what I was going to see.
But the truth is I wasn't prepared at all.    I thought we would show up in this place and start hammering away, building stoves.  It wasn't that simple.  Building a stove is a lot more complicated than that.  In truth, Don Fernando was the one building the stoves.  We provided the funds (with your help) to make it a reality.    We had the opportunity to see first hand how this affected these people and how grateful they were for something that we take for granted every single day of our lives.    The next time I whip up a pot of anything, I will think about it and appreciate it.  And I won't forget these people.







The teachers, that hike for miles and miles five days a week picking up little ones along the way on their hike to school and back.  There are 3 women and one gentleman working as teachers.    Their pay is next to nothing and yet they give absolutely everything they have inside to these kids.  They were gentle and loving and patient.
The children, many of them wearing shoes 4 or 5 sizes too big for them.   Most of them have never seen a toothbrush, with tiny teeth shaped like an hour glass, rotten to the core.



One in particular stole my heart.  His name is Herman.   I saw him standing away from all of the other children, shyly glancing over at me.   He was pressing his tummy against Don Freddy's truck so as to hide the front of his pants.  He had wet himself and didn't want anyone to see.    Eventually he made his way over to a little table to sit alone with a small plate of chicken that one of the teachers had brought over to him.   I made my way through the rain over to him and handed him a small piece of gum.   He accepted it and smiled widely.   I asked him several questions in my broken spanish but he didn't answer, he just smiled.   When I made my way back to the teachers table, they informed me that Herman could not speak.    He did not play with the other children, and was considered "special needs".   But believe me when I tell you that Herman was special but not in that way.  He understands everything he hears.  He uses his eyes to speak.   And he has so much to say.     He is kind and loving and I will never forget him.  I will never forget how he took both of my hands to help me into the back of the truck.   Or how he smiled from ear to ear when I kissed his cheek to say goodbye.  And how he looked over his shoulder at me as we drove off at the junction in the road, Herman going left, our truck turning right.



These are the moments that have changed me.   And even though this was the hardest thing I have experienced so far in my life, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
We are now back San Salvador with warm showers and even a place to do our laundry.   Tomorrow we will have a chance to explore the city fully.    A few more days and I intend to soak it all in.  I promise I will get some photos downloaded later tonight or tomorrow for sure!  Thanks so much for following along and sharing this journey with us.




No comments:

Post a Comment