Sunday 20 May 2012

First Impressions

As promised, here is my first ever blog!

 Most of you know how much I like to talk so this should work out just fine.  If I close my eyes at this very moment, I am surrounded by an orchestra of local song.  There's the chirping of the tropical birds and the rustle of the giant palm leaves, but adding to this song is the buzz of the city just outside the wall of our hotel.
San Salvador is somewhat of a walled city in that most places are surrounded by some kind of concrete wall usually topped with razor wire.    Now I don't want to give the impression that it is a prison of sorts, but there is definitely a strong sense of the need to be careful and aware of what's going on around you.  I have felt this before in other third world countries, but here you just know that you aren't to be flashing about with your new iphone or fancy camera.
This however doesn't squash the giddy feeling I have through my whole body at the prospect of exploring this country.
As I sit outside under a tattered umbrella, facing a dirty old pool that has seen much better days I am awed by my lush surroundings.   Directly above me hang literally hundreds, if not a thousand Mangos in all stages of ripeness.  I can't  help but think about the ones I bought back home in Winnipeg a few weeks ago for $1.99 each.   If only I were taller I could reach up and take my share for free.


Even the lack of hot water for my very brief shower this morning and the concrete pillow that held my head last night cannot take away the obvious charm of this place.   My face already hurts from smiling each time one of the "muchachos" from the hotel greets us with a heart felt "Buenas Dias".   They are genuine and warm and the reason Joe chose this hotel.



After a delightful breakfast of scrambled eggs, refried beans (the best I have ever tasted, and I may pay for my over indulgence later today), we are heading off to Ataco.  


This is where we will check into our home for the next few days.  I must admit I searched it out on Trip advisor (that's the travel agent in me) and I am thrilled at the prospect of staying in a tiny cottage surrounded by flowers.  It's called the Jardin del Celeste.  I will tell you more about it later.   We have a couple hours in a car ahead of us and I just want to get going.   I have been pacing for the last half hour.   Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment