Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Real Journey Begins


Our second full day in El Salvador and we are physically and emotionally exhausted.   We just finished our dinner at Jardin del Celeste and it’s only 6:00pm.   Pam and Joe have headed back to their cottage to rest, perhaps even call it a night.  
I had to write tonight because if I hold it all in until tomorrow morning I don’t think I will get any sleep.   Seated outside our little cottage, dark is falling upon me quickly.  The jungle songs are getting louder and louder.  The hammock that hangs beside me is tempting but I need to get these thoughts out of my head.
There are so many words that describe today.   Hope, strength, and love are just a few, but love is the one that plays the strongest in my mind.  
How did we end up here?   A bottle of wine in Joe’s kitchen a few months back and aspirations to do more with this life.    Why El Salvador?  It was Joe’s passion for this country and it’s people, and I get it.    And I am grateful that his passion touched me the way it did and that his passion got us here.  
Almost all of us have seen it in some form.   In Jamaica or the Dominican Republic, we have driven along on the way to our All-inclusive resorts and we pass these tiny little houses with tin roofs and windows covered in make shift bars, and it bothers us.   We feel guilt for having too much.   I have felt this many, many times.   But this time is different.   This time we have connected and it’s real for us, and the possibilities seem endless.
The school is about an hour away and the roads go from bad to worse.   With torrential rain comes washed out roads and challenges that the locals face every day.    Choosing to ride in the back of Don Freddy’s truck was the best decision once again as we felt alive from the moment we found our spots on the floor.   I am certain our bodies will be screaming at us in the morning as I can already feel things tightening up, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.



 



When we arrived at the school we were greeted by about 60 or 70 young children.   The youngest ran directly to Pam and I and offered each of us giant bouquets of beautiful flowers they had picked themselves from the lush gardens surrounding the school.  There was no hesitation as they threw their arms around us with genuine love.    I swallowed hard several times to keep my eyes from over flowing.   I looked over at Joe and he was overcome with emotion.  He was home.







We gave the teachers the two hockey bags filled with soccer cleats, jerseys, school supplies and toys.  They were beyond words with gratitude.    We gave a group of boys a soccer ball and one for the girls.  Both halves of the tiny concrete slab were full with kids of all ages dying for a chance to kick the ball.   The coach in Pam got the girls organized and we jumped in to play with them.    




By the time we finished playing in the scorching heat we had pretty much reached complete dehydration.  We left our bottled water in the back of the truck and in anticipation of heavy afternoon rains, Don Freddy had taken the truck down to the bottom of the mountain.   To leave it there would risk not getting out at the end of the day.  I was dying for a drink of anything!

Four young girls welcomed us with a beautiful dance and tossed fresh rose petals at us as we watched.   The youngest of the boys had a ball chasing the petals and throwing them at one another all the while bursting into fits of laughter!
The teachers invited us to sit at small tables under a tin canopy and brought us a lovely lunch consisting of home made chicken soup, roasted chicken and fresh tortillas.   I must admit I was hesitant to eat as my tummy has already given me some grief but I did my best to finish my plate.  (I did however, leave behind the two tiny chicken hearts hidden in my soup!)


After lunch we ventured away from the school to go and see the first family to receive one of our stoves.   I apologize for not knowing the names exactly, perhaps I will have this later on, but the father’s name is Edwin.  He has two young daughters, aged six and    
Three.   The old stove in the corner is spewing smoke, and after only a few moments I back out of the tiny kitchen into the fresh air.   It is obvious that this is not a healthy situation for a young family.   




Don Fernando is the hero of the community and he is the one who is spear heading the actual building of the stoves and there is much more to it than I ever anticipated.  He is our guide for this afternoon, and we follow him where ever he wants us to go.  We literally climb the side of a mountain to get to Edwin’s house.   He tells that he has chosen the families of the community that need the stoves the most.  They all have young children.  Edwin is smiling from ear to ear and we feel more than welcome to be here.


With the funds we have raised we knew for sure that we could fund at least 5 stoves, but in the week prior to our trip the money just kept coming in.   If I could hug each and every one of you who helped make this happen I would, and I want you to know how much I love you for it.
With the extra funds we were going to make at least one more stove, but today we had to make an executive decision.  We could make a couple more stoves or we could buy the tools needed to make several more stoves.   So we opted for the latter.   We purchased a welding machine and an electric drill.  This will take the project to a whole new level.  
Tomorrow we head back very early to the school as they have planned a “sports day” for us.  I am fairly certain this means a soccer game and a whole lot of sweating.  This time we won’t forget the Agua!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment