Wednesday 23 May 2012

Parental Discretion is Advised.

I shit my pants.  Twice.
Since Monday night I have been struggling with a terrible stomach bug.  I kept thinking it would go away but after a sleepless night I have started Antibiotics this morning.   Thankfully I am the only one.  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
Yesterday was tough.  Actually beyond tough.  I rode inside the truck this time as I didn't think my body could take the bumpy roads into the school.

Our first stop was Don Fernando's home.  We met two of his children and his wife and toured his property.  The floor of their home is dirt.  There are chickens, ducks, geese and turtles living amongst his family.   The broom in the corner is made of tree branches.  The plastic patio chair is missing a leg and has been replaced with a stick.  These are the chairs that we buy at Canadian Tire and we throw away when they crack.   The families that are receiving the stoves begin to arrive, one by one each with a young child in their arms.








We give them the kitchen packs we made consisting of donated aprons, a soup ladle, and several other kitchen utensils.  We dig out the barbies and toys from the bottom of the hockey bag for the little ones.   They accept the gifts but seem shy and often look away or at the ground.   I pray we have not embarrassed them or made them feel uncomfortable in any way.  That is not our intention.







After we finish meeting all of the families we jump back in the truck and head down the mountain to the school.
 When we arrived at the school the kids were wild with excitement.    It was "sports day" and they had a big soccer game planned for us.   We started walking to the soccer field, which is actually a pasture with patches of grass and mud.  And the odd cow patty that the kids manage to dodge effortlessly.   To get to this field we walked straight up a mountain, and I mean straight up.  The kids skip along having done this every day for who knows how long.  By the time we reached the field I was completely out of breath and in awe of these kids.   Most of them walk double or triple the distance to their homes every single day, straight up.






Within moments the pasture is a fury of kids, each doing whatever they can just to get a foot on the ball.
Pancho and Joe have jumped right in.   Pam stayed back at the school with the younger kids.
The sky clouds over after about an hour and the teachers said it was time to get back.  We had the kids line up and gave each of them a candy necklace.   Some gobbled them down and some wore them with pride.


Back at the school Don Freddy was waiting with his truck and there was a definite sense of urgency to get going.   The rain was coming.   He knew that if he didn't get his truck out of there we wouldn't be going anywhere until the rain subsided, and this could be hours or even overnight.
By the time we said our goodbyes to the beautiful teachers, it was too late.  We made it about half way to the main road and it was all over.   We hit a patch of slippery clay and the truck wasn't going anywhere.
The rain was torrential.   It was pounding down and we were soaked down to the bone.    We tried everything possible but that truck was not moving.  Don Fernando disappeared to his home at least a mile away and returned with a 100 pound bag of gravel on his back!    As he gets closer I can't help notice that his calves look like those of a hockey player, although I am fairly certain he has not played hockey a day in his life.   Behind Don Fernando came men.  One after another until there was over 15 there to help.  They attached  two ropes to the front of the truck and and we made two lines, one on each side.   We pulled in unison until our hands burned and we were completely exhausted.   All the while the rain pounded down on us.    They asked all of the women to get into the back of the truck to add some weight so we did.   Then they shoved tree branches, gunny sacks and more gravel under the tires.  I had given up, this was hopeless.    One last ditch effort and every ounce of energy left in those men, they pulled an pulled and god willing we started to move.  We cheered with excitement!
When we finally hit a solid patch of pavement, Don Freddy just gunned it and we kept on going until we were safely out.      Those that didn't manage to get into the truck sprinted behind.
Everyone was soaked and covered in mud and clay.   There were 17 people in the back of that truck laughing and cheering.   Even though I had given up hours ago, these people knew that we would get out.  This was just a normal day for them.    Don Fernando was truly our hero, our fearless leader and it was obvious how these people respected him.
We had an hour ride ahead of us back to the hotel and we were absolutely soaked.  We couldn't ride in the front cab of the truck so we toughed it out.   By the time we got to Jardin de Celeste I was frozen, sick and miserable.     I stood in the a freezing cold shower sobbing, my body convulsing from the cold and sheer exhaustion.  
Once again I failed to drink water during the day and we hadn't eaten for hours so I stuffed myself with hot chicken soup and enchiladas.  I didn't even taste them.
After dinner my tummy really started to act up and I was a mess.  I found myself in Pam and Joe's cabin  crying and asking to go home.     Pam talked me down off the roof and I crawled into my bed shivering and wanting my own bed, my own shower and my own kids.    This is much harder than I ever anticipated.   We are heading out of the area a day earlier than expected and the sun is shining this morning.    And I haven't shit my pants yet today, so things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment